Saturday, April 18, 2009

Wikis

Cataloguing versus tagging.

Hi, made my wiki. I never knew the word came from Hawaiian, that's something I learnt today!
This is the webpage - http://blossomslibraryblog.wetpaint.com/.

I have chosen as a topic - Cataloguing versus tagging. I feel that tagging items online is the general public's version of cataloguing, and I am interested in how that will evolve over time. Will it become similar to cataloguing, after all, cataloguing is collaborative, as is tagging? Or will it stay as an informal thing, only to be used online?

I am interested in how similar, and how different, they are. We often talk about cataloguing is 'describing' something. Well, tagging is how a person 'describes' a photo they put online. Cataloguing is more organised, I grant you, but who's to say that tagging won't become more organised?
Interesting, I feel.

Carole

No comments:

Post a Comment